I came across this set of instructions while on a message board. I am sorry I don't remember who or where but many thanks to that person for great advice!
As more and more carts are added to DS the time it takes to load increases. Here’s a way to speed up the loading time.
Are there lots of carts that you don’t own, and think that you’ll never own? If so, you can remove them from DS. This means that DS doesn’t have to load them at start up.
Note: You won’t be actually deleting the carts permanently, but moving them to a different directory on your computer. That way, if you do buy one of those carts (or want to be able to see it in DS) you’ll be able to move it back into the Fonts directory and it will show up again.
And don’t worry – if you completely muck this up you can just uninstall DS and reinstall it again and all will be well!
Here’s how you do it:
- Make sure DS is closed
Open up Windows Explorer.
Click on C drive
- Select Tools, Folder Options, then the View tab.
- Make sure "show hidden files, folders and drives" is selected then click Apply, then OK to close that box.
- Navigate to: C: --> Program Files --> Cricut Software --> Cricut Designstudio --> Cricut Fonts
You should see these 5 folders:
Now we need to create a backup folder where we’ll copy all the fonts. This backup folder must not be inside the existing Cricut Fonts folder. We need to go back up one directory.
- Create a new folder. Overtype “New folder” with Backup Fonts (or whatever name you choose)
Next we’re going to COPY all the contents from the 5 fonts folders into the Backup fonts folder.
- Click on the Cricut Fonts folder
- Copy all files and paste into back up folder
So now you have your backups created. Next you need to delete the fonts you don’t use from the original Fonts folders.
- Navigate back to the original Cricut Fonts folder and open the CricutFontsA-C folder
You’ll see all the carts from that folder.
- Hold down the Ctrl key and hover your cursor over a cart you want to delete until it’s selected.
- Keep holding down the Ctrl key down and continue to select the carts you want to delete. (Older versions of Windows may require you to Ctrl + click to select.)
If you accidently select a cart, just move you cursor away from that cart, then hover over it again and it will be unselected.
(You can also just delete the carts one by one if you find that easier.)
- Once you’ve selected all the carts you don’t want DS to load, press the delete key.
- Repeat the above steps for the 4 remaining Fonts folders, deleting any carts that you don’t want DS to load.
Now go start DS and see how much faster it loads!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Adding carts back in
The time will most likely come where you will purchase a new cart and want to be able to see and use it in DS. Here’s how to add carts back in.
- Close DS
- Navigate to: C: -->Program Files --> Cricut Software --> Cricut Designstudio --> Backup Fonts
- Then open the folder that contains the cart/s that you want to add back into DS and highlight them.(Again, use the Ctrl key if there’s more than one).
- Once you have highlighted COPY your cart/s by selecting Ctrl C (or Edit, Copy). They’ll be copied to the clipboard.
- Navigate to the original corresponding Font folder and select Ctrl V (or Edit, Paste).
- Click Continue at the inevitable message box:
Your carts will now reappear in the correct Fonts folder (assuming you selected the right one).
- Open DS and those carts will now show up again.
Remember, if you totally muck it up you still have your backup files plus if necessary you can uninstall DS and reinstall it.